It’s easy to roast your own chicken. And while you’re at it, roast two. This is a delicious roasted chicken with lemon and vegetables. The reason I roast two is to use the 2nd chicken for meals later in the week. Chicken Tortilla Soup, Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Enchiladas, of course chicken salad, and the classic roast chicken sandwich or wrap, the possibilities are endless!
Check out this video!
You’ll see I do a few extra steps, although it’s not necessary. You can simply wash & dry the chicken, sprinkle with salt & pepper and pop it in the oven. I’ve done that dozens and dozens of times. The idea to use italian dressing marinade came from a friend - basically all the herbs & spices in one bottle!
As you can see, my chicken got a bit over-browned. I should have tented it with aluminum foil for the last 15 to 20 minutes. It was delicious though!
Here’s the recipe below - remember you’ll want your chicken to register 165 when you check it with the meat thermometer. How long it takes to roast depends on the size of your chicken.
Also, save the chicken carcass to make home-made stock. You can make a superior stock at home - it’s super easy. Check out Flavorful Chicken Stock.
Roasted Lemon Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, giblets removed, rinsed and patted dry
- A few lemons, sliced in half
- 1 onion, quartered
- A few garlic cloves to your taste
- Fresh parsley, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- A medley of potatoes, carrots and onion. Cut into similar sized pieces for roasting.
- Turn on the oven to 425F or 400F if you use convection
- Place the rinsed chicken in large zip lock bag
- To the chicken add chunks of onion, garlic cloves and chopped parsley
- Add the salad dressing, squeeze the lemons and add those. Seal tightly, smoosh around to evenly coat the chicken and let marinate at least an hour and up to over-night.
- If you’re planning on roasting veggies, just make sure they’re even sized, place them in a roasting pan
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of water or chicken broth
- Place your marinated chicken on top of the veggies
- Stuff the chicken with the lemons, the onion, garlic and add fresh parsley if you have it
- Drizzle with olive oil or rub with butter
- Season with salt & pepper
- Roast until juices are clear or meat thermometer reads 165F
- Let rest 15 minutes and slice