Gochujang is a hot red pepper paste made of red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and salt. It’s an ingredient in many Korean dishes - and it is incredibly delicious. I’m obsessed with it. If you can’t find it in your area…well, that’s was internet shopping is for! This link will take you to Amazon and the brand that I buy.
As part of Deb’s Honey Bee project I wanted to make a honey gochujang sauce for Korean style chicken lettuce wraps. It’s a bit of chopping, but totally worth it.
Korean Style Lettuce Wraps with Honey Gochujang Sauce
For the Honey Gochujang Sauce
- 2 tablespoons gochujang paste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- Combine all and whisk until smooth. Taste for your preference of heat, sweet, salt & tang. Adjust to your liking.
For the Korean Style Lettuce Wraps
- 1 large head of bibb lettuce, leaves removed, rinsed & dried. Wrap in damp paper towel, place in large zip lock bag and place in the frig to crisp while making the filling.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped (doesn’t have to be diced)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained & finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- In a large skillet or wok heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and add onion & carrot. Saute over medium high heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, stir and reduce heat to medium, cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the red pepper, garlic, water chestnuts and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove this mixture from the skillet and set aside to cook the chicken separately.
- Increase the heat back up to medium-high and add the other 2 tablespoons of oil
- Add the ground chicken and stir frequently until cooked through.
- Add the vegetables back into the pan with the chicken, and add the green onion and cilantro.
- Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the Honey Gochujang Sauce to the mixture and stir.
- Serve in a bowl with the lettuce leaves on the side and drizzle with the sauce.