A hot casserole dish coming out of the oven, toasty brown on top, filling and delicious reminds me of …well, many times..but especially when I was raising my little boys and I wasnâ€™t the most enthusiastic cook because I was…tired, and busy - and tired. I had an ingrained mission though, to serve a balanced hot meal, every night, in the way I was raised.
Pair this with a simple salad, a side of toasted bread and some fresh fruit for dessert and you will have a wonderful meal that wonâ€™t break the bank and will fill hungry tummies asking for seconds.
I use a cast iron or oven proof skillet to use on the stove & transfer directly to the oven to make easier clean-up!
Cheesy Macaroni & Beef
- 8 ounces dried pasta - elbow, shells or anything that can grab a sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil,
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 24 ounce jar of pasta sauce
- 1 cups grated Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al-dente..no more & drain. The pasta will finish cooking in the sauce.
- Brown the ground beef with the onions until slightly pink, add the green pepper and garlic, stir and cook 1 - 2 minutes more.
- Add the basil, oregano & salt & pepper to taste. Stir and let the seasonings warm with the hot ingredients.
- Add the pasta sauce and stir.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish or if youâ€™re using an oven-proof skillet then thatâ€™s even better!.
- Top with the grated cheese and bake until the mixture is bubbly and cheese golden brown.