This is a Food Network recipe from Paula Deen. A delicious, full flavored gumbo that doesn’t take all day to make. I’ve altered it by substituting large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined, rather than small cooked ones. I kept the tail on a few of the shrimp to top the bowl to make a prettier presentation. I also added 1 tablespoon of store bought gumbo seasoning with the onion, celery, green pepper sauté. When ready to serve, add 1/4 cup of cooked rice into the side of the bowl and garnish with some chopped parsley.
I’ll definitely make this again! It was enough to serve 4 people and also freeze 2 pints for some night when I’m running late from work.
Easy Gumbo with Shrimp, Sausage & Chicken
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped, plus chopped leaves for garnish
- 4 cups hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14-ounce can) stewed tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove.
- Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of margarine and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes. Let the roux cool.
- Return the Dutch oven to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley.
- Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups hot water and bouillon cubes, whisking constantly.
- Add the chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and okra. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.