Steamed red potatoes dressed with herb compound butter is a classic for a reason. It's sensational - not only on veggies but also a dozen other things.
Compound butter is an absolute breeze to make and freezes perfectly so you can just take out a nub now and then to use when you're steaming potatoes or other veggies, meats, fish, or even pasta.
Just steam or boil veggies of your choice, place them into a mixing bowl and gently fold them with the compound butter. Turn them out into a serving bowl or platter, and sprinkle on fresh chopped parsley, chervil, or herb of your choice.
Herb Compound Butter
- ½ cup butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, cut back on the additional salt)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 tablespoon fresh herbs of your choice, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Mix all together and refrigerate until needed. This can be shaped into a log and refrigerate, then placed on a serving plate and sliced for people to help themselves. Or pile it in a freezer bag and freeze, then pull off nubs as you need them to dress steamed potatoes or other veggies.